Sunday, January 26, 2014

2014 Week 4: Tanuki, Gang Gangs, Inks, and Watercolor Inks!

2014 Week 4
Tanuki, Gang-Gangs, Inks, and Watercolored Inks 

   So far I've been enjoying the fountain (nib) ink pen the most, beter than a brush. My postcards are so small the brush doesn't give me quite enough control. A nib pen is the perfect balance between control and uncontrol. I've practiced drawing and then painting (which results in smearing) and painting and then drawing in the wet, which results in bleeding. But it lends itself to a distressed and uncontrolled appearance and I appreciate the unpredictability. Also opened a few new colors from my watercolor set (a student watercolor set from Korea) and enjoyed playing with those. Posts to come! 

 Gang Gang Cockatoo, Bust
Inked then Painted

 Gang Gang in Flight
Nib Pen, Sketched and then Colored

 Peachface Lovebird Nesting (Not as good as the first)
Brush Painted then Colored with watercolor


 Japanese Magical Creatures: Tanuki
(Korean: Neoguri) 
Female
100% watercolored over pencil sketch


 Male Tanuki with Gourd of Liquor
watercolor

Male Tanuki Stalks the Grounds at Night
Sketched, watercolored, and inked while partially wet. 
I like the style. It feels expressive and illustrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment